Pages

March 26, 2012

A girl can dream...

Now that the Wrightsville Beach marathon is over (a.k.a. my slice of humble pie for the year), I've been thinking a lot about "what's next."  That's the funny thing about big events like this in life: You build up so much anticipation, and you work so hard to prepare, and then it's over in the blink of an eye.  Same thing with your wedding day.  While it's true that the whole process is a journey that never ends, and a one-day event does not make or break your love for it or whether or not you keep it up, with running it definitely makes it fun (and motivating!) to have something specific you're working toward.

I have heard that after you get the "running bug" and do your first race, triathlons are typically what catch your interest next.  But I am so into running itself right now that I really can't see adding anything else to it at this point!


In fact, there are several specific races currently on my mind and on my "must-do" list...

#1.  The Big Sur Half Marathon.  A scenic 13.1 miles along the Pacific Coast "that winds through historic downtown Monterey, along Cannery Row, and proceeds along Pacific Grove's coastline with incredible views of the Monterey Bay."  This is a HUGE race with thousands of people.  Hence: "Half-marathon participants will be seeded in corrals according to predicted finish time, and the race will start in 12 waves."  Plus, how do you beat this location?!  This one just recently jumped to the top of my list... it HAS TO HAPPEN at some point. :)


#2.  The Cooper River Bridge Run.  A legendary 10K (6 miles) that takes place in gorgeous Charleston, and you get to run over the incredible Cooper River Bridge Run with thousands of people.  What's not to love???


#3.  The Tarheel Ten-Miler.  A 10-mile course through downtown Chapel Hill and the UNC campus.  Not to mention you dress up in your best game-day attire.  Um... Of COURSE this one has to happen! :)


Most likely, next up for me will be the Diva Half Marathon in Myrtle Beach, this coming May.  This is still undecided, and I still need to work a few things out, but my current trajectory has the Diva sitting potentially in its path.  This would be my "redemption marathon."  I would want to get this one under my belt to have finished a half without walking (dropping the time goal again for now), assuming I am all well.  I'm excited to jump back into training (starting today, actually!) and work back up in mileage.  I've just realized this means I'll have been in marathon training from late December through May... whew!   


It's fun to dream.  It's fun to think big and to give it your best.  Even better is to realize that the greatest part of it all was setting in your mind to do something and then actually going for it.  I want my life to be completely in God's will for me and completely for His glory.  THAT should be our ultimate dream.  The catch is remaining open to how He might shift those plans we make, either to reveal something about Himself to us, teach us, stretch us, or draw us closer to Him.  Boy have I re-learned some great lessons over this past week.  We must hold loosely to the plans we make for ourselves.  We can use the blessings and abilities He has given us, but we must accept them for what they are: gifts.  And when He steers us in a direction we never would have planned, we must trust that the One who sees the bigger picture is the One who is blowing the wind in our sails... while we grasp to hold on to the wheel below, not seeing the ocean for the deck.  Until, one day, we find ourselves in a place BETTER than the one we had imagined...  We can only hope to be so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment