Pages

January 22, 2012

Breakthrough



Sunday, Jan. 8, 2012

Breakthrough!!  Yesterday was our second official group run, and it went great!!  I was pretty nervous about it, considering the Saturday before, but what a difference a week makes!

This time we (18 of us!) did almost 5 and a half, starting the Starbucks at Landfall, then down around the Loop and back.  I ran the whole time, enjoyed great company, and was even able to talk/keep up a conversation for almost the entire run.  And felt great after!  I'm so excited about this breakthrough because I could have very easily gotten into a doubting, negative mindset after last weekend.  It's nice to know that if you push on and push through, the good days will come!


One thing I changed was my breakfast.  I eat cereal every single morning for breakfast (literally... every. single. morning).  But the milk was one thing that I think "did me in" last week.  It was definitely NOT the greatest beverage to have sloshing around in my belly during a run. :P  So yesterday morning I had a toasted bagel with peanut butter and organic agave nectar, and it was super for a run!  Really sticks to you and gives you fuel.

The other big difference I think were my weekday runs.  We're supposed to do 2 to 3 "short runs" during the week, and then our group runs on Saturday mornings are longer, adding one mile per week.  I haven't followed that quite exactly because two of my short runs this past week were both at least 5 miles apiece.  The first one was Tuesday evening... the coldest day we've have yet by far!  Running in the lower '30s almost turned me into a sprinter (haha!), but I was grateful for my running gloves and dry-fit clothes.  5.2 felt great; the worst part was not really warming up until probably mile 2 or so... brrrrr!

My other 5+ run this past week has been my favorite run of training so far... even better than my 6.5 after Christmas!  I ran with a couple girlfriends who are training for the full (wow).  They are two awesome women who are very encouraging and fun.  This was one where I really felt more comfortable talking during the run, which hopefully is a sign of greater endurance.  We ran the riverwalk downtown, and it was absolutely GORGEOUS.  The sun was setting over the river by the bridge and battleship, and downtown was such a nice change of scenery.   We did probably close to 6 miles together and paced in almost perfect sync with each other, which was really nice!  The view down there (and then the dolphins in the waterway yesterday morning at the Loop) make me so grateful to live in such a beautiful city.  There are so many great places to run... why haven't I started this sooner??? ;)

The riverwalk run and yesterday's group run have almost completely changed my attitude about running with others.  Now that I have stuck with it and not settled for running by myself, even when I thought it was better for me, I definitely prefer the company!  The support, accountability, encouragement, fellowship, challenge, and meeting new friends are all things I have appreciated SO MUCH this week.  I am thanking God for these blessings...

Another change after this week is me not just thinking the half is attainable but actually feeling an excitement about doing it!  I have even been considering other races!  (Anyone want to do the Tarheel 10-miler with me in Chapel Hill, one month after the half??? :) )  I'm certainly not up to that mileage yet, but I am just trusting the training... and the evidence of improvement so far.  And I am loving it!!!

So, there you have it.  Another week of training gone by and my honest account of where I am in the midst of it all.  I hope this has been helpful to anyone, and I guess at the very least it will be a journal of my journey to look back on... 

No comments:

Post a Comment