Pages

January 28, 2012

Eight felt GREAT!

We ran 8 miles this a.m., and I am absolutely astonished.  Not only did I run it, but it felt awesome!  I am so happy about setting another new personal record and about how good the run felt all the way through.  If there are three words to describe this morning, they would be "very pleasantly surprised."  (Or you could interchange that with "joyful and grateful"!!!)

I was honestly going into this run thinking, "We'll see..."  I really did not know if I could pull out 8 miles after struggling to make 7 last week.  I still don't know how it happened—but I'm not asking any questions!  For the first couple miles, it was all about getting into a groove and getting warmed up.  At that point, I still wasn't sure how it was going to go.  I felt good, but I know how those last couple miles can be in the home stretch.  I really hit my stride and felt GREAT between miles 3 and 6. Running down to the south end at Wrightsville on such a beautiful morning was an awesome change in scenery and a gorgeous backdrop—we're so blessed!  The whole time, I was anticipating the last two miles to get really hard, and while I'm not saying there was no challenge, they were so much better than expected.  No real aches and pains that were extremely obvious, and endurance was good.  We had kept up I think around a 10:45 pace (which, at times, was faster), but we really pushed it and ran fast for that last half mile.  It ended up being about 8.2—which, I mean, hey, I'm counting it!

This morning I decided to go ahead and scale back the basal pattern on my insulin pump.  I have definitely noticed that my blood sugars have been running low more consistently lately from all the running.  So I took my normal "workout-day" rate back by .05 units of insulin/hour (which I can actually adjust by .025 units with this new pump) for both the 12am-7am and 7am-12am time periods.  (I only have those two time periods for workout days; I've noticed that going low for me most often happens in the middle of the night.)  I disconnect completely when I run, just because I don't want any insulin pumping at the same time—exercise affects my sugar greatly.  I don't know if that's wrong or not, but I sure do feel free!

The toasted bagel with peanut butter for breakfast has really been helping me last through my runs, and today's mid-morning snack was a gluten-free homemade peanut-butter granola bar made by a friend who gave them to all of us for after our run today.  So sweet!!!  She also gave us all the most encouraging note, which was just an awesome way to top off the run:

^ Just to show you the kind of people God has blessed me to know and to run with. ^

Today's other "pleasant surprises" (as if the run and the note weren't enough!) were running with the water belt and taking a GU gel.  I got the water belt with the one big bottle in the back (as opposed to the four smaller bottles all the way around).  The bottle felt heavy while full when I first put it in, but when we were running I was amazed by how NOT a big deal it was!!!  I had adjusted it pretty snugly, and it barely bounced around at all.  I took it out two, maybe three, times, and I can tell you I would much rather have those swigs of water on an 8-mile run than go without!

The GU gel I was little more nervous about... I have heard they are GROSS, and people have wanted to throw up from taking them while on a run!  Some people prefer the jelly beans or something else that is not such a thick, gooey consistency.  I have heard that you're supposed to eat one before you run and one for every 45 minutes you're out there. But since I had eaten breakfast, I just took one with me to take at some point during our run.  Around mile 6, I decided to give it a gu... hehe. ;)  Trey gave me a bunch of gels for Christmas as part of my stocking stuffers, and I chose Vanilla Orange to be my first one.  Y'all, I am not even kidding... somehow, it actually tasted like chocolate!!!  I don't know if my taste buds are messed up, or if it's just the fact that by that point I didn't care what it was... but I actually didn't mind it at all! :)

Overall, I am elated about today.  The run was awesome, but I am continually blown away by God's goodness and graciousness.  He is the one who has provided this incredible group of girlfriends to run with, the training I have grown to love, and the beautiful place we get to run every weekend with beautiful January weather.  I can't contribute anything I'm doing to anyone or anything other than our amazing Heavenly Father!  Thank you, Lord!

First few groups waiting on the last few groups to come in... We always cheer each other in!

8 miles!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment