Pages

January 22, 2012

Records and Running Shoes... Make Me Smile :)

I think I might actually be able to say it... I've crossed over the hump!  I'm on the other side!


One of the greatest things about running is simply being able to see tangible results to goals.  I'm not necessarily a numbers girl (OK... not at all), but it's really helpful to put numbers to things with something like this as a way to mark process.


For example.... 7!


Yikes... me "post-run."  But a day to be documented!


I can't believe it.  Yesterday's long run with the group was 7 miles, and finishing it set a new personal best for me.  The longest I had ever run before was 6.5, so this weekend was a real milestone.  I wish I could say it was the best run of my life, and I felt great... Not so much.  All the odds were against me.  I had been sick the entire week before and didn't run at all (since the previous Friday) until Thursday.  I was still not over my cold, and, speaking of, it was dang COLD out there!  Then I ran 5 on Friday, which was probably not the best idea either, being the day before our long run.  So, I was feeling better on Saturday for sure, but the runny nose was lingering, and I still felt a bit low on energy.


The run itself was beautiful...  We started at the Starbucks in Landfall, ran down Eastwood Road, cut left and went all the way down Summer Rest Trail, came out parallel to the waterway (hello, dream homes), down to the Loop, took a left, down and out through the Harbor Island neighborhood, back onto the Loop, around the turn back up Eastwood, across the bridge, took a left through some neighborhoods by the waterway (hello, more dream homes), back onto Eastwood, and up that god-awful stretch back to Starbucks.  Does it sounds like I'm dragging it out?  No, friends... it was just. THAT. long.  I was really struggling in my last two miles or so.  There were so many times I wanted to just stop.  I had been talking some, especially at the beginning, and (of course) trying to keep up with the pace of my peers.  But you know what?  I could either hang back and run by myself, or push myself to be challenged... and still make it.


Those are the times when you play all the mind games you can.  Focus on this song; it's a good one.  If you give up, you won't be able to say you beat a personal record today!  Look around you at where you're so blessed you get to run.  Join this conversation, and forget about your lungs... they'll be there tomorrow.  Don't you dare stop, don't you dare stop...  There was a struggle in my swagger but a smile on my face when got back to where we started.  Yay!!!


(Gray v-neck, pink headband.) Surrounded by awesome people!


That very afternoon, yesterday, I finally went in to get new running shoes.  Real running shoes!!!  Folks, I've gotten up to 7 in these guys, and even though I love them, they are just NOT cut out for distance running...




I learned a lot while I was in the store.  Like apparently my foot is narrow in the middle, and I have a narrow heel.  I have decent-size arches in my feet, but they lower slightly when I stand up.  And yet, instead of "rolling in" like she expected, I "supinate" just slightly, which means I roll to the outside of my feet when I run.  (And run I did—right there on the treadmill in the store, in about five different pairs of shoes.  Hey, you gotta be sure!)  Out of the three categories of running shoes (neutral, stability, and motion-control), she determined my best fit to be neutral.  And because of the narrow heel, we went with Saucony's.  So basically because of the shape of my foot and the way that I run, my shoes chose ME!  They feel great on my feet, and I can't wait to try them out.  After resting today, I've got a 3-miler planned for tomorrow with a couple friends, which will be a good test drive...




I also left the store with one of those belt packs that you can put a water bottle in.  (Pretty sure my husband snickered a little when I showed it to him, but whatever... just ignore him. ;) )  It's going to feel funny running with a water bottle strapped around me, but at this increasing mileage, I'm learning how important it is to stay hydrated.  It's also got a little zip pocket for my GU gels... another new thing I'll be trying out next week... stay tuned!!! :P


All in all, I'm just so happy and thankful to be well, and not to have encountered the set-back I feared.  Eight miles is definitely looming on Saturday, but I've got a plan for this week, and it's funny... you just trust the training and don't allow any doubts to enter your head.  Thanks to God for overall health and the sheer aspect of having fun...  

1 comment: