Pages

April 22, 2012

Run for Autism!


What a great 5K on Saturday morning!! :)

It was soooo awesome to be in a "race" again: to put on a number, get out there with a big group of people, and have that micro version of the marathon.  Races are just SO positive and encouraging.  Everyone is out there to do their own personal best; you aren't in competition with anyone but yourself.  There are no opponents—you want everyone to do well, and you are all a part of something bigger!  It was a gorgeous day, a very doable distance, and a great way to start a morning.

The best part, of course, was the cause... This particular one has become more near and dear to my heart recently due to a friend my husband and I just met, an adult with highly functioning autism.  I had other familiar faces in my mind as well while running, having volunteered for a couple years a while back at a therapeutic horseback riding center.  This was (is) an awesome program providing recreational therapy for children with special needs.  To this day I'm so grateful to have had that experience.

Here's a glimpse into the day...


My friend Shawndra and I ran together, and I was grateful for a buddy.  We kept a nice, even pace and then literally sprint-finished.  We were pushing absolutely as hard as we could go at the end!!!  It was great to feel so good on a course where I had felt so bad the last time I was on it.  The 5K happened to take place at Mayfaire—right where the end of the half marathon was located.  (It was quite "redeeming," if I do say so myself!)

The coolest part of all was seeing all the families out there, either running or supporting.  Many children with autism were either running or being pushed in jogging strollers by parents who were running.  It was incredibly inspiring.  This is definitely a run I want to support each year...

I think I could easily become addicted to running 5Ks instead of doing another half marathon this year: for the ease of training and distance, and the fact that they are usually for a cause.  You get in and out in a short amount of time, and it's just fun to be a part of!  Kind of takes the pressure off and is easy to enjoy.  (Although, don't get me wrong: there is nothing like being on mile 7 of 11, or what have you, and feeling good even knowing you've got that far to go... I can't wait to be able to do those long distances again!)

Getting ready to start.

Middle of the race!

You may notice I took a picture while running (above)...  I also may or may not have called my husband. :)  Decided to hold my iPhone with earphones in instead of wearing an armband, so on a whim at about mile 1 or 1.5 I gave him a call, and Shawndra and I left him kind of a funny message.  (I was hoping he'd answer so we could "Face Time," and I could show him what it's like to "be in a race"—ha!)

Races are too much fun.  Now I've just got to convince him to train with me so we can do a 5K together at some point.  Maybe the end of the summer or the fall... we'll see. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment